Thursday 27 May 2010

OUGD103 -Evaluation




1. What Skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

My computer skills have improved on such programs as Illustrator, Photoshop and Indesign. i have spent a lot of time getting to grips with the programs as it was essential to use them on the projects in this module, even learning shortcuts has made designing easier. For the SFE project i used design sheets instead if sketchbooks and it really helped with my thought process i find it a lot easier and clearer to show my ideas process. The skills learnt in the Type & Grid sessions allowed me to understand layouts and really helped with the Indesign brief. 

2. What approaches to methods of research have you developed, and how have they informed you design development process?
I have done a lot more primary research in the form of questionnaires directed at the target audience which has helped to focus my work and make it more specific to them. I have started using stumbleupon.com which has found some really interesting artists and designers for my design context and also loaned out many books from the library specific to my projects.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work, and how have/will you capitalise on these?
I think i have quite good ideas but seem to be able to come up with better ideas for others projects in crits than my own. I think my crafting skills are quite strong, i have a delicate style when it comes to crafting and like to produce quality handmade pieces that express time and care. I think that i am definately getting better at image as i am constantly experimenting with new ways of creating image such as photography, drawing and collage. I love books too, i've always had a passion for making them.

4. What weakness can you identify in your work, and how will you address these?
My weaknesses are mainly down to poor time management, i always seem to be rushed at the end of the project and i think this shows with some of the final pieces as i don't think i always do them justice. I am constantly trying to improve my drawing skills, it is a weakness of mine but it is definately improving. 

5. Identify 5 things that you will do differently next time, and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

1 - Time management, be prepared by planning ahead! it will mean i have more time to develop my ideas and produce better quality final pieces
2 - Experiment more, with everything! Colours, layout, stock, image, type, packaging, idea generation. i want to push my design work as far as i can
3  - Produce work of an industry standard, not just quality wise but looking at what would actually work out in the real world. This will make me a more professional designer
4 - Use print methods more effectively, i'm sometimes scared to do complex work with print but if i experiment, plan my time better then i'm sure i could achieve some amazing work as i love old printing techniques.
5 - Keep upto date with whats going on in the design world.

6. How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
5=Excellent , 4=Very good , 3=Good, 2=Average, 1=Poor
Attendance : 4
Punctuality : 3
Motivation : 4
Commitment : 4
Quality of work produced : 3
Quantity of work produced : 4
Contribution to a group : 5


Additional Comments:
a couple of friends of mine are graphic designers in leeds and i've spent a lot of time talking to them about the industry, how they got there, their work, my work and ideas etc. its helped me focus so much on what i want to achieve from my degree and where i want to be i can't wait to start year 2 more focused and motivated i'm excited for the year ahead and i'm looking forward to seeing my work and skills improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment