Wednesday 30 May 2012

Evaluation

So this is it :) time to step into the real world and put all the skills I've learnt to test.

Since Christmas I have been contacting companies such as Thompson, Elmwood, Love, Music, Gratterpalm and Brass, sending them my pdf portfolio sample aswell as a short summary of my design practice an interest within their company. From this a gained a few studio visits at Thompson and Love where I was offered 2 x 2 month paid placements for when I finish. To gain a placement with Love I had to do a project for them in which I had to go back and pitch the idea to them.

I was offered a placement with Elmwood before I leave to go to Manchester so I will be working with them for 2 weeks, I'm really looking forward to this as they were really enthuasiastic about my work and ideas and I think it would be a really good company for me to work in.

Winning the SH! Awards 2012 was a huge turning point in my future, it really gave me a confidence boost and made me realise that I have something unique to offer companies, also it was really nice to have such great feedback on my presentation skills and how I communicate my ideas. It was a great way to gain recognition throughout agencies in this area and make them aware of what I have to offer. I have won a 6month paid placement which next week I am meeting Andrew from Brass to sort out where I might do my placement at.

I start my journey into industry straight away with a two week placement with Elmwood starting on the 18th June then I go to Love in Manchester on 2nd July for 2months. From here I will then either start my 6month paid placement with a local leeds agency or go straight to Thompson for 2 months. So I have the next year pretty much planned out :) YEY! Hopefully in the meantime someone might take me on full time... if not I will have heaps of experience in a mixture of different studios and agencies which will put me in good stead to getting a job. After working with a few different companies it will show me what kind of job is best suited to me and my practice.

Meeting companies and showing them my work has helped me to realise that I can do this as a job and I could have a strong future in the design world ahead of me. It has made me a lot more professional and comfortable in speaking to companies aswell as confident enough to go for opportunities and not let them pass me by.

No comments:

Post a Comment