Monday 16 January 2012

Portfolio Surgery

http://www.siscottstudio.com/

Today a had a meeting with Si Scott to show him my portfolio and branding and discuss my practice and future in entering the industry. I have been struggling a lot with confidence in my work recently and was quite worried to show my portfolio to a leading Graphic Designer, the surgery was a lot more casual and then I had at first anticipated....

He really like the Fashion Branding I had done for the Topshop brief especially the colours used in the New Mod and the layout ideas as well as the typeface I had created for the Bavarian label. Si said that my work had a warmth to it which my branding didn't always reflect, I agree with this as I think the typeface I created for myself is quite cold in comparison to my work and doesn't really have a concept behind it unlike the work in my practice. This is something I've been struggling with for a long time, maybe introducing softer colours could give it a warmer feel as the black and white are quite strong and striking. Although the use of black and white was to create a neutral brand to lay against my work, I didn't want it to impose on the work.

We spoke about where I see myself heading and where I would like to work after university, he said to get back in contact with Gratterpalm as they are a great company to keep in touch with and look at visiting them again. Also he mentioned contacting Music and Truth in Manchester as these are both companies that work with branding for the retail sectors and also on his return to uni in the next couple of weeks he'd put me in contact with some companies to get a work placement or a visit in place.

Si Scott was it was a pleasure to speak to and it really helped to get feedback from a designer so highly regarded in the industry. A big thanks to Amber for sorting these surgeries out, I know a lot of work went into the organisation of this and it proved a huge success!

http://www.truth-design.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment